Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Blog #3

Technology Implementation and Integration

WORST FEARS
  • not using the technology enough to remember how to use it

  • managing/arranging time to incorporate into my curriculum

  • other colleagues embracing new resources and technology

BEST HOPES

  • excitement/motivation of students when presented with new technology

  • student learning will be more meaningful and hands-on

  • increased communication with parents/community

I am so excited about starting this coming school year. With all the wonderful technology tools that I have learned, I can't wait to start implementing them in my classroom. My worst fear is remembering from this class all the tools learned. My e-portfolio will help me to overcome this fear because it will be a continuous learning tool for me as I document examples/research and reflect on what I have learned. This class has sparked my interest to want to know more and stay up-to-date with emerging technologies. Another fear is analyzing my lesson plans to incorporate technology into my curriculum. I am already working on overcoming this fear because I now understand how technology is changing from what I thought technology in the classroom was and that I need to change with it. When students come into my classroom on the first day of school and see it's a computer lab, they automatically think, "It's internet surfing time." Won't they be surprised when the internet is used as a technology tool to aid in learning the objectives. The technology already available in my classroom is not just for me to use in teaching, but to share with my students to empower them to learn.

Information overload is the best way to describe what has been going on the past few weeks as far as the skills learned in class about technology. I never realized how much I did not know about technology. It's unbelievable and my hope is to use technology to communicate better with my students, parents, teachers, and the community. While reflecting on this past week, this question jumped out at me: How can someone expect to be informed of new technology if they are not taking the steps to acquire new information? That someone was me. I have discovered that I was falling into the traditional role of waiting for the information to come to me just like the example from the book where Alan November stated that the students were waiting for him to give them a problem. I relied on staff development from our Career and Technology department to inform me about technology. I can share with other teachers what I have learned and the impact it has had on me.

I like the topic from Chapter 3 in the textbook which describes creating a problem solving situation for the students to solve giving them responsibility for their learning. This shifting of control will work great in my classroom. For example, in my subject area there are many ways to complete a task in Microsoft Word: using the toolbars, menus, or keyboard shortcuts to name a few. I explain this to my students so that they can decide what way works best for them. A change I can make is letting the students demonstrate for the class the way they complete a task. This also falls under mentoring and Dr. Wickersham modeled this by having some of us teach a skill to the rest of the class and allowing time for questions and collaboration among peers. I believe everyone has something valuable to contribute.

No comments: